12 December, 2010

More Christmas Traditions

There is one book which has been part of my Christmas since I was a little girl - and that is a long time!  I can almost recite the entire book word for word.  Such memorable lines:
           When what to my wondering eyses should appear
           But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer
And
           Now Dasher, now Dancer, now Prancer and Vixen
           On Comet and Cupid, On Donner and Blitzen
          To the top of the porch, to the top of the wall
          Now dash away, dash away, dash away all

It couldn't be anything other than -

The Night Before Christmas by Clement C Moore

 
  I have several different copies and every Christmas Eve my children are made to listen delight in listening to the story - again!  (Apparently it is uncool when you are a teenager to have your mother read anything to you, let alone this! They will think differently when they have children of their own one day)

We have other Christmas books which come out at Christmas time such as Dickens' A Christmas Carol - but my favourite will always be the one about " a right jolly old elf"

No comments: