22 February, 2011

A Very Sad Day

Just as we had begun to believe that life was getting back to normal another earthquake levelled our beautiful city. At 12.50pm we were rocked violently yet again.  Sadly, this time,  the devastation has led to loss of life - 65 lost at this stage but who knows how many more are lying in the buildings which have collapsed. I've never known as much fear as today - my oldest son was working in the inner city where a lot of buildings have come down.  Thankfully he was able to get in touch fairly quickly and was unhurt.  My youngest son on the other hand wasn't able to get in touch so there was a frantic hour while I tried to contact him.

I was about 30 minutes away from the CBD and jumped in my car to go and find my babies.  A trip which normally would take me 30 minutes took 2 hours stuck in traffic, it seemed as though everyone in Canterbury was on the motorway trying to get to the same place. I was stuck on the motorway over pass for a long time and was rocked by aftershocks which were quite significant and felt like the car was going to be tossed over the edge.
I can't tell you how relieved I was when I finally found my family - relieved and very happy. Now the long awaited rain is falling - we have been waiting for rain but now it is going to cause difficulty to rescuers trying to get to people trapped in buildings out. It is the last thing that people who are too afraid to go home and are camping in parks need.  And also the last thing homeowners with damaged houses need.
Cantabrians are a hardy bunch and we will grow from this but it is going to take a lot of love for each other and a lot of support from the rest of the country.  Send us your prayers blogland.
Before and after photos.  Photo taken from Google - and http://www.stuff.co.nz/.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Cindy, this is such terrible news, I am so glad you and your family are safe. Take care and we are all thinking of you my lovely girl..xxx

Marfi-topia said...

my prayers are definately being sent...
glad you and your babies are doing good.
keep us posted if you can.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy

Thank you for the post on my blog! I am so glad you and your family are ok and that you have a house to live in! SO GLAD!

Sending much love your way♥